Any incoming freshman can attest to the fact that all you hear from people is college myth this, college myth that and it’s hard to determine which is true and which aren’t. Well luckily I’m here to help debunk 10 myths about college that will hopefully keep you from worrying too much before heading off to school!
1. Most students graduate in 4 years. In fact I know several people who are going into their 5th year, and there is nothing to be ashamed about that! Reasons for not graduating on time might include studying abroad, co-op jobs, having more than 1 major or minor, or changing your major!
2. Everyone drinks and parties. Not true. Although parties and drinking are a stereotypical college activity, many students don’t partake in this. Don’t feel like you have to take up drinking to fit in or go to every party every night. There are plenty of other fun things to do around school that doesn’t include drinking or partying.
3. Everyone has lost their virginity. NO! Don’t fall for the age old trick of everyone is doing it. Girl, if you don’t want to do something with a boy, don’t. If he doesn’t respect that then he is not worth your time. There are so many students in college who are virgins, and there is nothing wrong with that! In fact that should be something you’re proud of!
4. You don’t have to go to your classes. FALSE! It is important now more than ever to attend all of your classes. Just because a professor doesn’t take attendance, does not mean that is a reason to not come to class. Take it from someone who learned it the hard way, you will do much better in the class if you attend all of the classes.
5. Dining hall food is awful. Trust me, most colleges are working to have healthy food options available to students and they are bound to have several options that even the picky eater like my self can enjoy.
6. Freshman 15. Not everyone will gain weight during their freshman year. It’s up to the person and their dieting habits, physical activity, and stress levels to determine if they will gain weight or not.
7. There is no drama. You’re bound to argue with your roommate, hallmates, friends, boyfriend, etc. Depending on the type of people you live around will determine the amount of drama that might show up. Some people are just all about, it’s best to steer clear from them.
8. You’ll be friends with your freshman friends for ever. Sadly, probably not. People go their separate ways and start living in different areas and just don’t hang out as much as they used to. That’s not to say that you won’t stay friends with some of them, it just might not be the same relationship you used to have.
9. You have to decide your career as soon as you get to college. False, you have an entire lifetime to test out different careers, majors, and job opportunities. Coming from a girl who has changed her major 4 times it may take a while to figure out what you’re truly passionate about.
10. You have to join greek life. Don’t get me wrong I’m a strong believer people should try going greek, but there is nothing that requires you too. If you don’t think you’ll enjoy it, you just don’t want to do it, or you think it’s not for you that’s FINE! Don’t worry about what others think and say, you do you boo boo.
With college move in day right around the corner, I thought what better topic to talk about than college myths. Hopefully my debunking of these common myths made you a little more confident about college in the fall!
Have more college related questions? E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you seen my new youtube video?! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo-gI0-09PQ
Lauren | Simple Southern Belle